Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

As of May 1st , 2014, CIC will accept a maximum of 8,000 complete applications under the Canadian Experience Class. Within this cap, there will be sub-caps of 200 applications for each National Occupational Classification B applications. These will be the last applications accepted under the current system before Express Entry is launched from January 2015.

You cannot use work experience in the following occupations to qualify for the CEC:

  • Cooks (NOC 6322)
  • Food service supervisors (NOC 6311)
  • Administrative officers (NOC 1221)
  • Administrative assistants (NOC 1241)
  • Accounting technicians and bookkeepers (NOC 1311)
  • Retail sales supervisors (NOC 6211)

The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) allows temporary foreign workers with at least two years of full-time skilled work experience in Canada, and foreign nationals who graduated from Canadian post-secondary institutions, with at least one year of full-time skilled work experience in Canada, to apply for permanent residence in Canada.

All CEC applicants must meet the program’s language proficiency requirements to qualify.

For applicants with Canadian work experience of NOC skill type O or A, you must meet the minimum level of CLB 7 in either English or French for all four language abilities.

For applicants with Canadian work experience of NOC skill type B, you must meet the minimum level of CLB 5 in either English or French for all four language abilities.

If you do not meet the minimum language skills needed for your NOC category, your application will NOT be processed and will be returned to you.

You must take a language test from an agency approved by CIC and include the results when you apply. If you do not, your application will not be processed and your fees will be returned.

You will not have another chance to prove your language proficiency. The visa officer will only use test results that you provide when you apply.

We can help you navigate CEC rules and become a permanent resident in Canada through this exciting new program.


NOC CLB Level Test results for each ability
Listening Reading Writing Speaking
0, A 9 7 8 7 7
0, A 8 6.5 7.5 6.5 6.5
0, A 7 6.0 6.0 6.0 6.0
0, A, B 6 5.5 5.5 5.0 5.5
B 5 5.0 5.0 4.0 5.0
B 4 4.0 4.5 3.5 4.0

*(NOC 0, A or B)

Who can Apply ?

You need to meet these requirements to apply under the Canadian Experience Class. You must:

  • plan to live outside the province of Quebec
  • have at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) skilled work experience in Canada in the three years before you apply,
  • have gained your experience in Canada with the proper authorization
  • meet the required language levels needed for your job for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing, and listening).

Skilled Work Experience

According to the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC), skilled work experience means:

  • Managerial jobs (NOC skill type 0)
  • Professional jobs (NOC skill type A)
  • Technical jobs and skilled trades (NOC skill type B)

You must have at least 12 months of full-time, or an equal amount in part-time, skilled work experience. Full-time work means at least 30 hours of paid work per week.

To find out which group your job falls under, see the list of jobs and their NOC groups. Follow the steps to find the NOC group that matches your job.

If the details and list of main duties for a job under NOC skill types O, A or B match what you did while you worked in Canada, your job is likely in that group. If it does not, look at the list to see if another job matches your experience.

If your existing work permit is about to expire you may be eligible for a bridging open work permit. Bridging open work permits allow qualified applicants to keep working while they await a final decision on their permanent residence application.

Principal Applicant

If you are married or live with a common-law partner in Canada, and that person also meets the above conditions, you can decide which one of you will apply under the CEC as a principal applicant.

A common-law partner is a person who has lived with you in a conjugal relationship for at least one year. Common-law partner refers to both opposite-sex and same-sex couples.


You must meet the minimum language requirements for your job. You must also include the results of a language test (from an agency designated by CIC) that shows you meet them when you apply.

Your test results must not be more than two years old on the day you apply.


Some people are inadmissible—they are not allowed to come to Canada. Many things can make you inadmissible, such as being involved in criminal activity, in human rights violations or in organized crime.

You can also be inadmissible for security, health or financial reasons.

Do not apply under the CEC if you are not admissible to Canada.

x  Powerful Protection for WordPress, from Shield Security
This Site Is Protected By
Shield Security